Log In
Things to Do
Travel Add-ons
Always Know the Latest Info
Subscribe to our newsletter for more travel & lifestyle recommendations and exciting promos.

Traveloka PH

03 Feb 2020 - 3 min read

How to Apply for A Japan Visa: Everything You Need To Know

2019-nCov update:Because of the Novel Corona Virus, Japan visa applicants are now required to answer a questionnaire on whether they plan to travel to China's Hubei Province within 14 days before arriving in Japan. Note that starting February 1, 2020, foreign nationals who have traveled to Hubei Province within 14 days will not be permitted to enter Japan, regardless if they hold a valid visa.

Pick a Visa That Suits Your Needs

Japan has 17 kinds of visas for foreigners visiting the country. Aside from the tourist visa, Japan also has visas for those visiting friends or distant relatives, those attending conferences, and for those in the country for a medical stay. Head over to the website of the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines to find out which one you need.

Prepare Your Japan Visa Requirements

1. Passport

Your passport has to be valid for the next six months and in good condition. At least two pages of the passport must also be blank. Renew a damaged or expiring passport before applying.

2. Visa Application Form

Download the application form here. You can check out a sample filled-out form here.

3. Photograph

The embassy has specifications with regards to the photo needed for your visa, so it's best to check them outhere. But in any case, you will need to submit a 4.5cm x 4.5cm photo with white background, taken no longer than six months prior to your application.

Most photo studios will know the photo requirements of embassies, so tell them you’re applying for a Japanese visa when you have your photo taken.

4. NSO-certified Birth Certificate with Receipt

An NSO-certified birth certificate will cost you P350 if you have it delivered, and P140 if you pick it up personally. Order it online here. The embassy also accepts abirth certificate from the local civil registrar if your NSO-certified birth certificate copy is unclear.

If your birth is not registered with the NSO, you will need to get a Certificate of Non-Record from the NSO and submit it with a birth certificate from the local civil registrar. You will pay P350 if you have this delivered and P140 if you pick it up personally.

If the birth certificate is a late registration (your birth was not registered with the NSO within 30 days), you will need several documents: a birth certificate from the local civil registrar, the original baptismal certificate, the school record (Form 137 or school report card), and school yearbook are required. The contact number of the church and the school is also needed.

5. NSO-issued marriage contract, if applicable

If you don’t have a marriage certificate with the NSO, you will need to get a Certificate of Non-Record together with a marriage certificate from the local civil registrar. You will pay P350 if you have this delivered and P140 if you pick it up personally.

6. Tour Itinerary

The embassy will also need an itinerary that covers your entire stay. If the travel agency you booked with doesn’t have an itinerary for you, then you can make one for yourself.Make sure that your itinerary for your Japan trip is as detailed as possible. Download a sample form here.

7. Bank Balance Certificate

The certificate you present to the embassy should be recent (within 3 months of submission of the application) and the amount should be enough to cover your airfare and your stay.

8. Income Tax Return (ITR)

The embassy will require an original and photocopied version of your income tax return. If you don’t have an ITR for some reason, the embassy will require a letter from you explaining why.

Make Sure You’ve Filled Out Your Application Correctly

Make Sure You Have Enough Money in the Bank

Show Them That You Intend to Return Home

Choose an Accredited Travel Agency

Friendship Tours
Attic Tours Phils.
Discovery Tour
Rajah Travel Corporation
Reli Tours and Travel Agency
UHI (Universal Holidays)