Could be better, but worth a visit
We visited Misibis Bay as the highlight to our quick 4 day Legaspi visit.
Its about an hours drive from Legaspi via winding roads and beautiful scenery.
We truly enjoyed the drive to and from the hotel.
1. The room. The rooms in Misibis bay are the utmost highlight of the hotel and the trip. It is a honey moons delight. Wonderful clean room ( we got the sea view rooms, 222 and 232 for me, my wife, my parents and kids) Each room had 2 double sized beds, a 40+ inch TV with great selection of channels, a view of the beach front, cold cold aircon. A shower area, and toilet and a bath tub that is in the bedroom area.
2. The snorkeling area. I found out at the last minute that there is a snorkeling area that is on the far side of the resort. Since we were packing to go home, i made a quick run for it, took a quick dip and was not disappointed. Nothing wow, the same aquarium fish you would expect in high volume clear waters and good corral. The guide said there is an 8kg snapper that hides in the rocks, but didn't show for me.
The beach front area, with all the water sports has good clear water and no waves since its a man made cove which is perfect for kids as no waves to worry about. But the water is also quite silty there are few fish and no coral to speak off. You have to go to the diving area to see the real fishies.
3. Ambiance of the place. Its definitely a fine resort. Good beach front, fancy dining area, 3 sets of pools, your choice of water sport activities (banana boat, jet ski, paddle boats etc...)
1. Service: It just doesn't have that level of service of a 5 star... the staff are slow and almost everything on the menu is not available. They had a promo for buy 1 take 1 pizza and ran out. The laing on the menu ran out. The lamb leg also ran out. It took anywhere from 45 mins to an hour to get the food served.
We had one story where we asked the waiter for the pizza, and he had to run back to the kitchen to ask the price, just to come back and say that its not available.
For dinner, we waited almost 2 hours to get a seat at the resto from 6pm and finally got a seat just before 8pm, by that time we were famished. Pitty the kare kare was not available.
2. Food quality. We didn't go for the buffet (P750 for breakfast - not included in the room charge, P850 for dinner or lunch buffet.) a) we were on a budget b) the food choices were not wow. The set menu ranged from P500 to P800 per order, which was good for sharing. We tried the laing, lamb, pakbet with bagnet... all were decent, but nothing was wow. The breakfast P450 for american breakfast, P500 for pinoy breakfast. They definitely charged at a 5 star rate. We ate, lunch, dinner and breakfast and by the end of the one day, ate most of what was on the menu.
3. Cleanliness. When we were there, the main pool near the dining area was green. They were fixing it, but it was just not a pretty sight, especially in the main area. The pool near the rooms did not have a working shower area.
4. No elevator. we were on the 3rd floor and carrying the bags up and down was a hassle. The parking area was also far from the rooms beach. although there is a shuttle that goes around, its usually from the hotel lobby to the parking area.
5. The bathtub in the room made a mess... ok ok, so this was our fault since the kids played in the bath tub, but it did a leave a mess there.
Summary: Its still worth a visit. I'm a budget traveler and am always on the look out for a bang for my buck and in this regard Misibis just didn't cut it. Food was pricey but just not wow. Service was poor, slow and they just seemed understaffed. The views were amazing, the room fabulous, but I wouldn't stay here for more than a night, especially with my family. Maybe as a honeymoon, its more suited to that.
Again its worth a visit, just temper your expectations. For the price you pay, I would expect more.
Family - Nov 2, 2017