Worst hotel I've ever been in
Please do not, under any circumstances, stay at this hotel! My partner and I have been travelling all across Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia and now Singapore for the last 5 months and this is by far the worst place we have stayed. The reception staff were reasonably friendly and the area is quite vibrant, but as far as 'Ideal' backpackers goes, that is where it ends. Here are a few reasons why you should avoid the hotel:
1) Our 'family' room was a windowless box with two sets of old bunkbeds shoved against the walls, and no room for anything else, except a TV on which only one channel worked.
2) The men's bathroom was not a separate room, but open plan onto the corridor. This meant that the whole place stank of toilets. On the door to the stairwell at the end of the corridor, a sign read "Please keep closed, for the smell". Nice.
3) The toilets themselves were tiny, dirty cubicles with old metal folding shutter doors, and the locks were comprised of elastic bands stretched over plastic blocks.
4) There were only three toilets in the men's, and the middle one had no seat. It was on the floor instead.
5) There was only one toilet roll dispenser for all three toilets, on the wall in the corridor. It was almost always empty.
6) There were no separate shower cubicles, just shower hoses stuck on the walls in the toilet cubicles. There were no hooks to keep your clothes and towel from getting drenched.
7) It was full of old Chinese men, who walked around the corridors half naked, loudly coughing up phlegm all day and all night.
8) The walls between the rooms were so thin, I could hear our neighbour's conversations as clearly as if they were lying in bed next to me. Anytime somebody opened or closed the door in the next room, or got in or out of their bed, my bunkbed literally shook from side to side, banging against the wall.
9) Although the women's had separate shower cubicles, they were mostly flooded, and there were only two toilets.
10) Although you could lock your room, security was negligible at best. The outer door, straight on to the street, was open at all times.
I am surprised that booking.com continues to list a hotel as bad as this one. At $65 per night it can't even be described as cheap and nasty - it's just nasty. We made it our business to spend as little time as possible there whilst we were staying, returning only to sleep, as it was a particularly unpleasant place to be. Strongly recommend you don't end up in the same situation!
Couples - Jul 5, 2014