Don't go there
Well, two weeks staying at Flamingo hotel by the beach at Penang, Malaysia turned to disaster from the very beginning - it took more than 3 hours to get the proper room after almost 20 hours flight. But, here is the list of -/+:
1. The price. Instead of provided with the booking confirmation 5698 ringgit cost, they verify and block 7000 at your card, well that was because tourist tax and deposit fee, but don't you think that you should include this constant costs to the price information since it's not the subject to discuss? So, travelers, always have some extra money at your card instead cash, because currency exchange at the hotel may refuse to change your money ($) explaining that they are old (have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but it took a while for us to find currency exchange, because nearest bank does not have cashier and you can't take money from the machine if you're not their client also). And need to tell, that staying at two rooms 4* hotel at KLCC next to the Twin towers was five times nicer and cheaper. And needless to tell, that at the end Flamingo proceeded my card twice and I had to cancel the wrong money transfer by having long negotiations with my bank.
2. Accommodation. There is nothing in common between pictures and the information provided on web and the reality. Most of the real rooms are dirty and destroyed by time and crazy tourists. We had to change three rooms before we find something proper. Dirt (real) on the floor and walls. Dirty towels, holes and black stains all over pillows, sheets and blankets, somebody's hair in the bed - grouse... and the smell!
3. It took couple days to discover why all rooms have terrible smell of paint mixed with burned wires odor - the curtains, thick rubber curtains are melting by sun and spread the poisonous smell wich gives you headaches. You have to keep window open all the time.
4. They definitely need some plumbing work. We literally had to go to Tesco and got pipe gasket to repair shower in the room by ourselves.
5. The food. Even though they positioning two diners and room delivery service, the menu still the same everywhere. Well, thats personal, but I didn't like the food - poor choice, weak taste. Be careful with your orders especially at the beach cafe - in some point waiter bring us half of the portion and when we mention that he bring another half - need to tell, that two halves more expensive than one big. It all become clear when he asked to pay cash without bringing the bill. He was disappointed when we decided to put it on our deposit.
6. We prepaid for breakfasts, but went there only twice, both times that was not good at all. Coffee and food was not good. Look for the diners around at trip advisor and you'll find wonderful places with real English breakfasts, french toasts and anything you might like for breakfast. Also, there is a fruit market in 5 minutes walk from the hotel. You might need this information because the hotel doesn't serve any good or tasty fruits - no mango, no banana, no passion fruit - just water-mellow and papaya, both tastes like nothing , and be ready, that chef will cut them with the onion knife. Another surprising thing - lack of seafood. Some shrimps, calamari and tilapia (wich is not the real seafood) - that's all (this situation is about the whole island).
7. Wifi connection. They have it, officially, but you can't use it, because even when you connect, you can't open any apps or website, at all. Tree device experiment done. You have to go to the nearest cafe (not related to the hotel) to check your Instagram or download the weather forecast, or make your flight check-in or look through web for another hotel. But sometimes you may get lucky, like once at night about 2 a.m.
8. The beach. Well, forget about having rest on the beach. The sand includes any kind of trash and garbage (even in big plastic bags), so as water does. Sand is like big ashtray full of cigarettes. Also two huge sewerage pipes throw waste to the small rivers that go straight to the sea nearby the hotel. When it rains - don't swim. The pool is ok. But they clean it once a week, so this shallow pool gets to much of sand on the bottom pretty fast.
9. Another thing that should be noticed - this hotel very popular for Arabic families during the school holidays season, so get ready to be look what you wear for the beach and behave yourself. You probably wouldn't be told anything, but the poolside would be full of people swimming totally dressed and ladies with only eyes without black cover near the water. They will never step in the elevator with you and please never talk to them, only with their men, but be ready to be totally ignored. The other guests also could surprise you - we find plastic bag full of garbage at the elevator left by ones. Also, they just put all garbage and used dishes at the corridor at front of the room door.
10. It's non smoking floor (as they said) but you can smell cigarettes all over the place as well as you find them at the ashtrays next to the elevator on each floor. Still didn't get the point of nonsmoking.
11. This is not my fantasy - I traveled with friends who can confirm all that was said above as well as my pictures (I did documentary).
12. But there's few great things about our staying there - nice architecture and location of the hotel, nice weather, sights and nature. Extremely polite and wonderful people and staff.
13. I have to conclude, that all of this is far away from 4* hotel. This could be normal for 3*.
14. And another thing- when we say to the locals about the place we staying - we got the comments which I simply can't post here )))
15. My recommendation- one night stand and if you are looking for comfort- don't go there.
Friends getaway - Aug 22, 2017