GPO Box 4713
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
See the cheapest prices from the last 48 hours here. Click on the selected date to book.
Prices are subject to change at any time.
Jetstar Airways (JQ/JST) is an Australian low-cost carrier. The Melbourne-based airline led by CEO David Hall is a wholly owned subsidiary of a full-service carrier Qantas Airways.
Jetstar was founded in 2003 and commenced its operation in May 2004. Headquartered at Melbourne International Airport, Jetstar serves domestic, regional as well as international routes, with a current total of 19 domestic destinations and 14 international destinations.
Jetstar Airways (Australia & New Zealand) is wholly owned by Qantas Group. Besides Jetstar, Qantas Group also owns a number of Jetstar’s sister airlines partially. The sister airlines are Jetstar Asia Airways based on Singapore & Valuair (49%), Jetstar Pacific Airlines headquartered in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (30% by Qantas, the rest 70% owned by Vietnam Airlines), Jetstar Japan (33.3%) and Jetstar Hong Kong (33.3%).
Through its slogan “Low Fares, Good Times (Fly Away)”, the airline introduces the company’s identity as a qualified low-cost carrier. The value-based services cover both safety and facilities.
In low-cost segment, Jetstar faces a tight competition with Virgin Australia and Tigerair Australia. In its operation, Jetstar Airways serves routes together with its affiliate, Valuair, another subsidiary of Qantas Airways.
Jetstar Airways won reputable awards: as the world’s best low-cost airline in 2007 (Skytrax), in Australia/Pacific 2007 (Skytrax), the best in Asia Pacific 2008, the best in 2007 & 2008 from CAPA, and the best in Australia and New Zealand 2009 from Skytrax. In addition, Jetstar was awarded as the best cabin crew in Australia and New Zealand 2007 from Skytrax and is listed as the 5 top airlines in terms of passenger growth for 2009 in Changi Airline Awards. This reflects the airline’s commitment to consistently provide qualified low price/cheap flight to its customers. Jetstar also offers promo flights regularly.
In domestic routes, passenger may purchase in-flight meal from on-board cafe. For international using Airbus A330-200, Jetstar’s Business Class provides free meal, drink, In-Flight Entertainment as well as free 30 kg baggage allowance. In Economy Class, passengers get free up to 7 kg cabin baggage allowance and may purchase additional checked baggage for lower price when purchased during booking process.
For more information, please refer to Refund Terms and Procedure FAQ page.
Before it was acquired by Qantas on 20 November 2001, Jetstar Airways was formerly known as Impulse Airlines, which then was renamed by Qantas to QantasLink. In 2003, QantasLink was turned to a low-budget airline serving domestic routes and operating under the brand name Jetstar Airways.
Initially serving only domestic routes using Boeing 717-231s, in 2005 Jetstar Airways started to extend its network to New Zealand. In the same year, Jetstar Airways gained an outstanding reputation by being the world’s first low-cost airline that reaches the market globally.
On 4 October 2006, Jetstar Airways becomes the first Australian airline providing seat selection option in the booking process.
Also in 2006, Jetstar Airways and Jetstar Asia co-operate under the brand name Jetstar, serving its online booking services through the same site www.jetstar.com.
In 2009, Jetstar began to serve daily flights from Auckland to Sydney and Gold Coast. Jetstar then replaced Jetconnect (a Qantas’ subsidiary since 2002) covering New Zealand’s domestic routes: Wellington, Queenstown, Christchurch, Auckland and Dunedin.
In 2012, the Vietnam-based Jetstar Pacific was partially acquired by the country’s national flag carrier, Vietnam Airlines (70%). As part of this expansion project, the Jetstar Pacific aims to operate up to 15 Airbus A320s by the end of year 2015.
Jetstar Airways’ flight attendant wears a charming and bright coloured uniform. The female FA’s uniform is a combination of contrasting colours: black knee-length skirt, black stocking and bright orange blazer coupled with a black blouse. Jetstar’s male flight attendant wears a pair of black trousers and black t-shirt, with a touch of orange on the collar and sleeve, at times covered with a black blazer.
Jetstar In-Flight Snack
As a low-cost airline, Jetstar does not provide free in-flight meal for Economy class passengers. However, in-flight meal is available for purchase on-board. In Business Class using Airbus A330-200, passengers get free in-flight meal and drinks.