The country of the Philippines has always been one of the well-known holiday destinations in the Southeast Asia region due to its rich biodiversity as well as historical and cultural heritage. Among the many tourist destinations that are popular in the Philippines is Dipolog or officially known as the City of Dipolog. Being known for its wild orchids and its sardine industry, Dipolog is known as the ‘Gateway to Western Mindanao’ and also the ‘Bottled Sardines Capital of the Philippines’ with a fair share of its own tourist attractions.
Dipolog, in a similar manner to other regions around Philippines and nearby countries in the Southeast Asia region, is classified as having a tropical rainforest climate in which dry season is shorter or almost negligent whereas rainfall is normally heavy throughout the year. The peak time to visit Dipolog is around January, May and September, which is when the climate is just right to explore the city with lower temperatures that are comfortable. Meanwhile, the off-peak season is in June which is when the climate during that season becomes hotter than usual, hence making it uncomfortable to go out. As such, accommodation and ticket prices tend to drop this time. However, it is always advisable for visitors to check the weather reports before going to the town.
1. Ninoy Aquino International Airport – The Ninoy Aquino International Airport is an international airport that serving the Manila and surrounding city, being the main international gateway into and from the Philippines as well as to other regions within the country. Also known as NAIA by the locals, the airport is located at the Pasay - Parañaque border, while it is found 7 kilometers south of the Manila city proper and the southwest part of Makati. The airlines that operate in this airport is AirAsia Philippines, Cebgo, Dipolog Pacific, PAL Express, and Philippine Airlines. This airport consists of four different terminals, namely Terminal 1, 2, 3 and 4 meant to cater to different segments with a shopping mall located at Terminal 3.
2. Dipolog Airport – The Dipolog Airport is a public domestic airport that connects the city of Dipolog with other places in the Philippines. The airport can be found at Barangay Minaog which is about 15 kilometers away from the city center of Dipolog. It is one of the busiest airports in its category in the region of Mindanao of the Philippines Just like other airports in the Philippines. This airport is operated by Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines. It has a runway that is 2,100 meters in length and is made of concrete. Among the airlines that operate in this airport is Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines as well as Royale Airway Charter with destinations to Cebu, Dumaguete and Manila. From the airport, it is easy to go to the city area because there are many types of transportation available inhe Dipolog Airport that are meant for the visitors.
Dipolog’s weather is typically about being under the hot sun for most of the time. Dipolog is considered to be less temperate than the nearby areas. Usually, it will be warm and sunny throughout the years with a consistent amount of raining except for typhoon season which the weather can be even more unpredictable with rains that are heavier than usual and thunderstorms. The average maximum temperature in Dipolog around 30 and 33 degree Celsius while the average minimum is around 22 and 24 degree Celsius. While around October to December, be cautious since the weather will be wetter and windier than usual. Meanwhile, it is always the warm and pleasant season of the year around April to June. Since it will tend to get crowded too around this period, be sure to book your flight and hotel early as the reservations will run out fast during this period.
1. Sungkilaw Falls - If you like to go on a picnic and take a bath or swim in the river, you must come to Sungkilaw Falls. It is one of the attractions in Barangay Diwan of Dipolog developed by the City Government to attract the tourists. Upon reaching the falls from the city is a truly rewarding experience as you can see the white water cascading down from the elevation going down to the base where the water accumulates before flowing through the river. It is certainly a terrific swimming spot among the locals and tourists and what better idea to immerse your body into the cold and refreshing water while enjoying what nature offers you? , Sungkilaw Falls is an attraction that you cannot afford to miss when in Dipolog.
2. ONAY Museum – ONAY Museum is an excellent place to visit if you want to find inspiration. Here, the life and collections of the renowned General Alexander Yano are kept and exhibited in detail. This museum would feature his humble beginnings from the city and growing up before joining the military and rising among the ranks to become the first general that hails from the Mindanao region. This is expected to give hope and motivate the young people that if you work hard, you can achieve anything.
3. Dipolog Boulevard - Dipolog Boulevard is a more recent attraction in town, a foreshore esplanade built along the 1.6 kilometers stretch from Sta. Cruz of Barangay Central to Purok Bularan of Barangay Miputak. It is a good place for locals and tourists to come over and enjoy the view as well as jogging and doing sports activity, as there are basketball courts and playground here too.