BPJS Healthcare (Badan Penyelenggara Jaminan Sosial or Social Insurance Administration Organization) is a state-owned corporation which provides national healthcare insurance for Indonesian citizens. This public service is responsible for protecting the healthcare rights of all Indonesians, by ensuring them access to medical facilities.
The BPJS Healthcare program has been officially established in the country since 2014. Every citizen of Indonesia should have this national insurance, especially when considering how expensive medical treatment can cost. This is in addition to all the other social and economic issues that come with being ill. The obligation to become a member of BPJS Healthcare was introduced in the Presidential Regulation Number 12 of 2013 regarding Healthcare Benefits.
With BPJS Healthcare, citizens receive the guarantee of being able to use a wide range of health facilities continuously, and without worry. The main benefits of using BPJS Healthcare are:
1. First-level Health Facility (Fasilitas Kesehatan/FasKes), or non-specialist health service, which covers:
- Health improvement services and disease prevention. For example, health screening, immunization, family planning and chronic disease management programs.
- Medical treatment services by general practitioners and dentists, including;
2. Advanced health referral services that include:
- For outpatients
3. Emergency Services
4. Ambulance Services
People often find it difficult to distinguish between BPJS Healthcare fromJKN (Jaminan Kesehatan Nasionalor National Healthcare Insurance). Many people consider the two insurance schemes to be the same while they are actually not.
JKN is a social insurance program with an insurance system set by the government of Indonesia for its citizens. This national program is set forth in Act Number 40 of 2004 regarding National Social Insurance System (Sistem Jaminan Sosial Nasional/SJSN).
On the other hand, BPJS is a corporation that runs JKN program, which merged the three previous programs:ASKES (the health insurance scheme for civil servant and the army), JAMSOSTEK (the social security program for private workers), and JAMKESMAS (the health insurance scheme for the poor).
In spite of being an insurance program, the BPJS Healthcare scheme is different to what is offered by private health insurance providers. The main difference is, on the insurance itself, BPJS Healthcare doesn’t apply as strict a limit as a private insurance does. Some of the other differences are:
To become a member and be able to receive BPJS Healthcare treatment, you have to register yourself collectively or individually. The following are the steps to join BPJS Healthcare:
1. Future members can choose one of the following registration methods:
a. Via BPJS office branches, found in each municipality
b. Via mobile customer service
c. Via any other regional/local offices
d. Via bank, Payment Point Online Banking (PPOB), and other partners
e. Via BPJS Healthcare Center at 1500-400, the mobile JKN application, and BPJS Healthcare official website
2. Future members should fill out the form for Member Data (Data Isian Peserta) and compile the supporting documents (main supporting documents are a copy of ID card and family card).
3. Within the form, choose your desired class treatment and your first FasKes place, and provide valid contact information. Especially for class treatment I and II, future members need to fill out an authorization letter that facilitates a debit payment for monthly payments.
4. After being validated, future members will receive a virtual account number, which will later be used to pay the premium.
5. Process the premium payment between 14 – 30 days after the registration date. You will receive payment receipt and a document to print your card. You will either receive this document via SMS or email.
6. Wait a maximum of 7 working days to receive your BPJS Healthcare card. You can also print and collect your card at the nearest BPJS offices by showing your initial payment receipt.
Currently, Traveloka provides a number of bill payment features, including BPJS Healthcare. This feature allows Traveloka users to do online transactions on the website or mobile application. With this feature, BPJS Healthcare members can stop worrying about forgetting to pay their bills.
Paying your monthly BPJS Healthcare premium on Traveloka is very easy, with very affordable administration fee. All you have to do is visit Traveloka website or open your Traveloka App, and on the menu, select “Bill Payment” and click ‘BPJS Kesehatan’. Continue by filling out the necessary information, and follow the payment process as guided by Traveloka website/app.
Becoming a member of BPJS Healthcare is a must and made obligatory by the government of Indonesia. If you are not registered as one, register yourself online immediately to get your membership quickly and easily. For more information about registering for BPJS Healthcare, visit BPJS Online Registration page.
Have question for Traveloka about BPJS Kesehatan? Let's find your answer here:
Paying for your health insurance to keep you covered should be as convenient as possible. Now you can save yourself some hassle by paying for your BPJS Kesehatan via Traveloka. Here is how:
Please note that you may pay your bills up to 11 months in advance (e.g. if you make a payment in August 2017, you can choose to pay up to July 2018). If you have outstanding bills from the previous months, they will also be included in your current bill.
Yes. Each transaction will carry a fixed amount of admin fee, despite the number of family members included in the bill or the number of months that will be paid.
Unfortunately, BPJS Kesehatan only shows the account holder's name, the number of family members linked to the account, and the total amount due on your bill.
You can contact BPJS Call Center at 1500-400 to see your billing statement.
Please wait up to 60 minutes for your transaction to be completed. If your transaction does not go through after 60 minutes, please contact Traveloka Customer Service at 0804-1500-308.
You can try to enter your BPJS ID number into the search box. If a message appears saying: “Number not found/Bill not available, it is most likely that your payment has been received.
Alternatively, you may contact BPJS Call Center at 1500-400 to confirm your payment status.